Silence in Service to The Universe
Want to shut down those nattering inner voices? Externalize your hearing one hundred percent and there is no room for those voices to exist. This is my new lesson which I already knew from experience, it just got confirmed from a new source. When I started working with the mystic Peter Kingsley years ago, he taught me a meditation style that was all about being present to all my sensation. It was and is the only style of meditation that works for me. You see I have this problem with my inner dialogue; it never allows me any peace. This meditation is my saving grace. I discovered Peter Kingsley in an article in Parabola Magazine that attracted me after observing my cat Loki in our garden. Loki was the most present creature I ever knew. He was our garden mystic, so aware of everything that happened in that garden. Loki was my first mystical guide. Lately I have been listening to the shaman Lujan Matus’ Whisperings of the Dragon on audio books. He describes presence differently, but confirms the things I have already experienced. My opening to presence is through the sensation of sound. I let go and listen for as many sounds as I can hear in the moment, upon which a paradox occurs; suddenly I am aware of my inner stillness. This method consistently works for me and what I mean when I say externalize your hearing one hundred percent.. Lujan Matus says that our ears are meant to be used for listening 100% externally and our eyes are meant for seeing 98% internally, leaving only 2% for cursory glances at the world around us.This makes so much sense to me. I often start by shutting my eyes and allowing my vision to go internal while I listen for the external sounds. But I can do it with my eyes open too and I often sense that something deeper than me is looking out through my eyes. That awareness comes from deep within me. Another lesson Lujan Matus shares: lack of presence is the original sin. When we are captured by our internal dialogue, our experience is lost to us because we are no longer aware. This also meets my experience. My inner dialogue distracts and pulls me away from my sacred ground. Those voices come from elsewhere.They are inserts, social programming I picked up over the years from other people telling me how I should be. Most are judgments of one form or another, turned inward and also turned outward. When we aren’t present to our experience, then we forfeit our service to the Universe, which is to experience reality, reflecting back Creation and allowing the Universe to absorb that reflection and expand. We have access to eternity and profound stillness and silence within – to that void of creation which is the core of everything. It is from there that our true self and intuition arise. When we are captured by our inner dialogue, we lose touch with the silence which is our touchstone with the Divine. I wonder sometimes if the story about the Tower of Babel isn’t about the folly of trying to reach the God through external means and giving primacy to the babble inside our heads, filling us up with judgment, justifications and egoic self-importance. That babble interferes with the true language of the Universe which is Experience. Words can never truly capture the breadth of experience. Our inner dialogue also pulls us away from each other – it distracts us from listening and fills us with judgment and programmed responses. When we are present, we are in service. Do you have a practice that silences your inner dialogue? Is it working for you? What if you tried externalizing your hearing 100% and see what happens?